Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Friendship Card

I'm trying to squeeze more time in for art play in the evenings, and relying on challenges to give me ideas to try. Hero Arts currently has a challenge going with a nature theme. The only rule is to use at least one of their stamps. I decided to try a new stamp set I found on clearance at a local scrapbook store. (Somehow, if it's on clearance, I feel better about buying it!)


I started with a watercolor panel and inked it with two Distress Inks - Worn Lipstick and Wild Honey. I applied each color with a blending tool from the opposite edge, allowing them to blend together in the middle. I love the way the colors look together!

I stamped the floral design twice with Versamark ink and sprinkled it with Wow Opaque Bright White Super Fine embossing powder. (Since Distress ink stays wet longer than most dye inks, I was careful to heat set the blended ink in the background until it was completely dry. Otherwise, embossing powder would have stuck everywhere.) After heat setting the embossing powder, I stamped the butterfly from the same set (Hero Arts Butterflies & Wildflowers). This time I used Versafine Onyx Black and sprinkled clear embossing powder on top, heat setting afterwards.

The white embossing I'd done earlier really didn't look as good as I'd like in the middle of the stems. I decided to cover my boo-boo with a vellum strip. I used the Mini Scallop & Pinking die from Alterations to cut a scalloped edge on both sides of my strip. Then I stamped my sentiment from Hero Arts Friends, using Versafine Onyx Black. I used clear embossing powder again and heat set it. Since vellum is always tricky to adhere without seeing the adhesive through it, I chose to stitch it down with my sewing machine and white thread. I think this did a pretty good job of disguising my less-than-perfect stamping. I always try to find a way to salvage my work!

The watercolor panel was mounted onto a plain white card base and that was that! It was a fairly quick project and I'm happy with the way it looks.

Happy crafting!

Immi

No comments: